If like many Brits, you store valuables such as power tools, bikes and vehicles in your garage, it is important to ensure that you take the necessary steps to prevent break-ins and theft.
As well as the valuables that may be stored inside, garages are often connected to the home, giving intruders access to the property through the garage which is usually the weakest point.
To ensure your garage doesn’t become an easy target for thieves, we have highlighted everything you need to know about garage security, including the best tips and security products for keeping your garage and the valuables within secure at all times.
Preventing Garage Break-Ins – Practical Tips
By taking the right security measures, you can make it significantly harder for thieves to break into your garage. Below are some useful practical tips for securing your garage and deterring any intruders:
- Never leave your garage door open or unlocked giving thieves the opportunity to trespass.
- Store your garage keys or remote in a safe place, inside your home. We strongly recommend that you store them inside a locked safe.
- If you have an electric garage door, be sure to follow all manufacturer guidelines regarding the maintenance of the unit.
- If you are going on holiday, ask a trusted neighbour or family member to keep an eye on your property. You may also ask a neighbour to park on your drive to give the illusion that somebody is home.
- Keep garage windows covered with blinds, curtains or even white spray-paint to prevent any unwelcome visitors from peeking in.
- Install motion detector lights to deter thieves.
- Consider placing CCTV on or near the garage as this is an effective deterrent for thieves.
- Have an alarm fitted to your garage door as again this is a useful security measure that makes it less likely for thieves to break in?
- Consider registering your valuables with a crime prevention website to make it easier for them to be tracked or replaced should a theft occur.
- Keep all valuables within the garage out of sight.
Security Products to Protect Your Garage
There is a range of security products that can be utilised to protect your garage and the valuables within. At Thornhill Security, we recommend:
Security grilles are a robust security measure that can be fitted in almost any window or door including garage doors.
Garage Door Locks
The use of locks on or inside your garage makes it significantly harder for thieves to break in, but garage door locks are often flimsy and neglected. If you find your garage door opens when force is applied, talk to a locksmith about getting new, more secure locks installed.
Motorbike, Bicycle, Scooter and Moped Anchor Lock
If you store your bicycle, motorbike, moped or scooter inside your garage, then you may want to consider buying a specialist bike lock to secure it. These locks usually consist of a ground anchor with a bolt hole for chaining the bike.
Garage Door Defender
Garage door defenders are a cost-effective way of preventing thieves from gaining access to your garage. These defenders are not an alternative to a proper garage lock but instead should compliment them to make the door even more secure.
Security Products to Secure Your Garage at Thornhill
At Thornhill Security, we provide a wide range of high-quality security products designed to maximise the security of your garage and prevent thieves from breaking in, giving you complete peace of mind.
For more information about the range of products we have to help secure your garage, call us on 0117 967 4994 or fill out a contact form and we’ll get back to you.